Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Day 16 - A song that makes you cry (or nearly)

Ok I actually love this question. For some reason recently I am very easily moved to tears. I didn't cry much or at all in middle school, a little bit more in high school but still not a ton, and then starting when I was at UCLA and up until now I'm actually kind of a crybaby. Sucks for my hardcore image! Anyway.

I've actually posted this song before as a "song of the day," but I don't mind the opportunity to post it again because it's so beautiful that it does get me a little verklempt sometimes when I listen to it. Actually, a lot of stuff by M83 has this effect on me. So I'll post two and give you something new as well. The first one, "Skin of the Night" is the re-post. The vocals are ethereal, the bass is literally a heartbeat, and the rest of the sound is minimal enough to create a truly breathtaking crescendo at the chorus. It's got a very synth-80's sound, which I mentioned before, but it doesn't sound dated - it actually moves you to be nostalgic, which I think is part of the reason why it's such a lovely song. Like Don Draper once said on Mad Men: "Nostalgia - it's delicate, but potent. [I was told] that in Greek, 'nostalgia' literally means 'the pain from an old wound.' It's a twinge in your heart far more powerful than memory alone." So give it a listen, please, and tell me I'm not alone in my gushing over this song here.



"Teen Angst" is another pretty much perfect song. (There aren't many of those for me - "Bittersweet Symphony" probably falls into that category, as does "Sex on Fire") Again, the synth moan in "Teen Angst" feels like a tangible time machine sucking you willingly through your favorite memories. The background vocals are stunning. And if the song itself doesn't fill you with t3h emotionz, just go ahead and watch the video. I dare ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment